Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm Waiting for Life to Shower Me with Meaning and Happiness

Kimber wishes.

It's the first day of school, and I've spent the entire day looking through class descriptions and majors, trying to find something easier. I'm an English major, which is pretty easy, but there are a lot of books to read, and almost as many papers to write. I suppose I should have spent the first day paying attention, networking, forming study groups, and getting an early start on the reading, but that would involve work, and I consider my work done for the day by the mere fact that I got out of bed and came to school.

I think I've always looked for an easier way out of things. When I first started in band I wanted to play the trumpet rather than the saxophone because basic logic says that three keys must be easier to learn than twenty-three. That proved to be untrue (though I had to do a lot of sluething to find this out, as we only owned a saxophone and it's hard to qualitatively measure personal experience against another's testimony).

In any case, I spent today looking for an easier way to get a Bachelors, but there really isn't one, unless I'm very rich and able to just hire somebody else to go to class for me and do the work. If I were rich, that is surely what I'd do, but I'm not, so I can't.

Since the class in which I was trying to avoid work is now over; to sum up: I'm lazy, school is hard, I'm not rich, and despite all of these things I expect to have a degree in April and find a high-paying job which I enjoy, no matter how little I deserve these things. In short, rather than work for anything, I'm waiting for life to shower me with meaning and happiness.

2 comments:

  1. I am also waiting for this to happen. I have a goal in site but I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to get there.
    -devin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're four months from a degree and you want to quit now?

    Meh. If I understand and can sympathize anything in life, it's laziness. However, I wish it was "getting things I don't deserve".

    ReplyDelete