Monday, October 6, 2008

Technology is Now My Friend, but My Fellow Students Aren't

This is Kimber. I have a new computer. Not new as in it was going to be thrown away so my dad gave it to me, new as in brand spanking new with no previous owner. New as in I'm the first one to touch it. New as in the newest, most expensive piece of technological equipment I've ever owned (that's pretty sad, considering it's a $450 laptop). I would now like everyone to stand up and do a happy dance with me. Go on, now, nobody's looking, and this is a joyous, joyous day.

The best part about my new computer is its size. Go to a bookstore or library, go into the history section, and pick up any medium-sized paperback. What you are holding is both heavier and larger than my new computer. Some people think it might be hard to type on such a small thing, but I have tiny hands. Some people think that it might be easy to lose, but I'm OCD. Some people may think it's a pathetic excuse for a computer, but I think it's adorable and perfectly capable of everything I need it to do. The only trouble is that the shift key is oddly placed, but I have faith I'll overcome that with enough practice.

What this means for you, dear reader, is lots more blogs from your favorite writer: yours truly. I can now blog in class while I'm pretending to take notes. I can now carry my computer everywhere with me and so blog whenever the impulse takes me. I can now compete with Devin's awesome little Mac. Actually, I can't; Macs are still better, but they're a hell of a lot more expensive.

Now that I've fully exhausted a topic in which only I had interest in the first place, we'll move on.

I hate group projects. Hate them. I'm in college, I think I've moved past the "make a presentation with a bunch of people you have nothing in common with other than the fact that you all needed this class for graduation" stage. I'm an adult, come on. This doesn't deter any of my teachers though, they still keep assigning group projects like they're going out of style (they are).

My latest frustration with this front is my British Literary History class which has us doing presentations on Spenser's Faerie Queen. The girls in my group are nice, but they're putting way too much work into it. I knew that this was going to be an arduous process at best, so I practically finished the presentation myself before we even met to talk about it. This didn't help though; we still spent an hour and a half talking about what the different characters represent and how that works into the overall allegory, even though Spenser himself clearly states what everything is supposed to mean at the beginning of the story.

To add insult to injury, a mentally handicapped girl came up to us and started telling us all about how much she loved the movie Titanic, and how much she hated the movie High School Musical. My group mates smiled at her, then ditched me, leaving me along to agree that Titanic was a magical movie one should never have to outgrow.

In short, I hate every single stupid person in my class except the professor, who is pretty smart, and even she gets a little hate for making us work in groups. Also, I'm supposed to go to Lisa's house to watch Titanic on Friday. We're going to make macaroni pictures afterward.

4 comments:

  1. ooo macaroni pictures! That sounds like fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mac will always be the superior race.
    -devin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hurt myself doing the happy dance. :(

    P.S. Your laptop is very nice, and I apologize for referring to it as "midget-ware" (unless I only said that in my mind, in which case, forget I mentioned it).

    Anyway, your post--and nearly making a girl cry in my English class today--made me realize there is far too much hate going around. Thus I propose a telepathic drumcircle to promote peace, acceptance, and good feelings.

    But, please, no fat chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. can i join the telepathic drum circle?
    -devin

    ReplyDelete